Friday, August 20, 2004

Xanga Post No. 8: 08/20/04

Yesterday (as in Wednesday) I got a free Mobb Deep album in the mail from Jive Records. Amazingly enough, even tho I haven't written anything on a consistent basis for almost 3 years now, I'm still on Jive's mailing list....goin' on like 7 or 8 years now actually. I guess I can thank Roberta Magrini for that, she's the head of Publicity for Jive now and one of the few record industry heads whose super nice and all too accommodating to the media. Early on when I was first trying to get my writing on, she'd always ask me how I was doing, make jokes and sometimes even take the time to read and criticize a record review I wrote. She would makes ure I got new press clips quick and without me even asking, she put on Priority records (thats where she worked before she went to Jive) mailing list even tho I still had a peachfuzz. So yeah, thanks to Roberta I've gotten every single N'Sync, Britney Spears, Petey Pablo, R. Kelly record as well as any other artist whose ever been on Jive for the last 8+ years .....and except for the R. Kelly joints and some other rap artists stuff, I've pretty much sold every single damn one of them (No Britney or N'Stink up in my crib!!! No Sirree!!!) and made myself a pretty penny. Of course, that sort of thing isn't "proper" but what the hey and .....thanks Roberta!
I guess I'm starting off this blog talking about this because I really have been missing writing of late. And doing this blog thing is magnifying that a bit. Not to mention seeing a kid on the train (like I did today) or in the streets reading a Hip-Hop magazine & reminiscing on what it felt like to think that some kid was spending their hard-earned funds on a magazine that I might be in or reading a piece that I may've wrote. That's a "buzz" that I really miss sometimes. So of course, it makes me think about the possibility of writing again or putting together a press package and sending it to some magazines. I mean, not to toot my own horn, but being the magazine junkie that I still am, I KNOW what's going on out there and thus, I still know and feel that I'm better then 75% of what's out there. But it's just the shadiness of industry folk (UN-like Roberta) and esp. the shadiness of fellow writers that has me wary of throwing my hat back in the ring, plus too....it has been awhile. Yet, talking with Kris Ex (who should be done with 50 Cent's autobiography by now) a couple of months back did get me seriously thinking of forgetting the BS and just goin' for mine, but as with most thoughts that pop up in my head, it was pretty fleeting. Kris did put me on to a couple of people I should holla at and I still have the info he gave me. Cant act like I dont miss the $$$$ writing put in my pockets too...so who knows? maybe in a few weeks I'll put something together....we'll see.
Lastly, I forgot to mention that last week an old "associate" of mine (no, not THAT kind of associate--quit being so NAUGHTY!) called me to tell me that she'd moved from Atlanta to Oklahoma of all places, settled into a 2-bedroom down there with plenty of room and 2 baths and wanted to know if I'd be intersted in coming down there and checking it out with the possibility of moving in as a roommate. Tonia, is a friend of a friend, who used to live in the Bronx, saved up some money and moved to Atlanta about 4 years ago, didnt like Atlanta as much as she thought she would and somehow read about all these Black people moving to Oklahoma City, checked it out, liked it and put all her stuff in storage for almost 2 years before she was ready to move. Now she's there (and sounding a little lonlely) and wants yours truly to come and visit because she remembered our little talks of my wanting to leave NYC. Even if I was to even seriously give any of it a real thought, one thing keeps tapping at my head and thats the fact that Tonia can be really annoyin' and lets just say that she's not the brightest bulb in the room either. But other then that she's good people and not to say she'd be interested or that she isnt cute, but she's not my type either so thats a good thing. But no sense even getting into this anymore unless I were to go and visit, so I just wanted to throw it out there  I guess mostly because the offer kinda surprised me, not to mention that we hadnt spoken for months. Yet with the way I feel about being in NYC sometimes, I cant completely put it out of my mind either.

No comments: